Sunday, March 25, 2007

maximum results yielded by minimum effort

first week of work = all done. interesting times, very much so - shitty in that already i am sitting amidst a hotbed of potential politics, sort of. is there ever ANY WAY OUT OF THAT?? Fucking clearly not, ever. What else is there, then. I guess "i love it..."

I guess I am getting old. I KNOW i am already getting more neurotic. Dude, I bought rogaine today. I bought ROGAINE today!! That's unbelievable! I can't believe it.. maybe i should sign up for the goddamned 401k plan after all. Sigh, whine, wheeze.. where are my golf pants, Maureen?

Edwin and I went to the Asian Night at the Vanguard last night. That guy can talk me into anything "yeah, twist my arm!" Well,it was fun. I needed to celebrate I guess, and what better way to do it than doing what i do best.. anyway it was fun. we had a long night and ended up at another place up the street. It was alright... another forgettable evening plowed into oblivion by a lil' excessive jagermeister. Always winds up with me in one piece (hey if i die quite suddenly, at least i'll have never seen it coming)

It was a weird week, kind of sad. The dust is clearing, so to speak. i have a BEHEMOTH of work ahead of me, in some ways.. i have to learn a lot of new skills and make a good impression. Rebuild my rep from scratch yet again, man.. i am kinda tired of this. I do what i have to, and it'll feel a lot better after I get that first paycheck in my bank account. Till then it's a little of "herrrrre we go again, tis time with a little feeling, sucker..." But yeah. a weird week. It is The Future, welcome to it.

Buying some shit on ebay lately. yea. some SHIT. For real. Stuff i dn't really want, or need, and probably can't afford. It's alright, we are all allowed a little stupid leeway here and there now and again (then in now, if and then, fore and aft). EBay is like A Magic Endless Vegas Christmassy experience. So gratifying "what can i get away with?? what crap would I LOVE?" This is coming from a guy who likes to own almost nothing. Okay, I Am being harsh on myself for a minute, I am not so shameful. I just want to have my ow stupid shit that is completely irrelvant to my real life for 15 minutes out of my day to distract me from the other shit (like Rogaine). Anyway there's something magical about coming home from work and finding brown packages containing cool surprises randomly left at your door. Or did I just describe dog shit.

We went to an Art Show tonight, a former coworker of mine had some sculpture being shown at this gallery opening. I was expecting a quiet mellow night, the place turned out to be packed to overflowing. It was pretty much a mob scene (hey well ya know, free rinks). I don't know this person very well, but he is a really nice guy, very talented and honestly.. in this digital field we all work in, it is nice to see someone I know actually doing some creative production which is tactile (more so than just a PS3 disc with some GBs of data on it...) It was nice to go out, but a bit weird.. I haven't anything against Santa Monica, though it can be a bitch to drive over there sometimes (not real bad though). I have got spoiled in that i live in a hip area, and I can easily "let my hair down" and get back home with no real problems. I won't really get shitfaced when I am out of my Comfort Radius unless it's a special-special occasion, and half those times i can't really "feel right" 'cause my alter ego cant justcome and go as he pleases (and oh yeah, he pleases). It's too bad 'cause there's a whole world out there to explore. But good 'case it keeps me outta trouble.. I guess.

Anyway a bunch of old coworkers at the party. Some fellas I hadn't really seen since I got let go, um, 6 months ago. You know, i'll always hold my time at Neversoft with a degree of reverance, as I've always said "imagine working with all of your best friends, that's what it's like" and it was really true.. it was a happy time for me, even when it was miserably obnoxious. So yeah, good to see those old guys again, but in this weird context, makes me kind of want to put that chapter of my life behind ad get on with the new one - there's a whole lot of work to do, yet.

One of the bosses was there as well (one of the guys who pulled the trigger and fired me) - which was a little awkward. Man, I cannot express, even now after this time has passed I STILL strongly fantasize about telling those assholes off.. it makes me raelly bitter, just makes me feel like useless shit. I know "it's business and all" but for crying out loud! I want comeuppance! Well I could say shit, but I am mature enough not to be a dick and shoot myself in the foot like that. he did say hi and what's up and all of that, i didn't humor him with any bullshitty small-talk - I really don't wanna go into that. I wanna say i wonder what I'd do if had been drunk, but I don't think i'd be out of control about it then either.

I guess some of this happens in life to you, from time to time.. you have a situation where it's the you that you WANT to be and the you that you HAVE to be.. you just gotta suck up and do the right thing, be productive and well.. not a dick. Anyway the art world is a weird one. It's not something that I honestly am attracted to, in the business/social sense, though I can see it's usefulness at times. It is pretty irritating though. Coming from a guy who lives in Hollywood.. wtvr.

No comments: