Monday, November 13, 2006

it's that beat scene, man

yes, fr-r-r-riends, it's that time once again when i talk of the wikipedia.. friend to nerds everywhere. nerds and lovers of nerdly things.

it's like this hole (err, this "whole") i often fall into and struggle for hours to climb out of. Then i get up and walk across the room and fall back in once again. Dammit.

I feel like I often go in there and type up some topic that interests me, mroe on then not it's about some history or technology or some bullshit that just randomly happens to be passing through my brain, but once in awhile i will type in the name of some band or other and then start reading all kinds'a stuff. It reminds me of the days, back in the way-back days, when i was a sceeeeene kid.... haha. Yes, and then i compare it to the days of now, which places me squarely in a very different kind of scene, and loathe as I am to admit it, nto quite as much of a kid anymore, perhaps. Well, not a kid yet not quite a man either. i'll always be caught somewhere in between - such is my personality.

Anyway it's remarkable to consider the "music and cultural" revolution that occured duringmy adolescence, to be honest it's not something I really pay very much mind to but looking back it was quite a formative part of my youth. Especially as this all happened as I was growing up and out, starting my college life and everything that I knew about anything was rapidly beginning to shift. Damn it, why do i feel like and old man when I type like this? It's true.. I am definitely out of touch with that scene today in some ways, and yet - it's hard ot say that, as that scene is just really different now than it was. Music when I was a kid was - well, it was the 1980s. Lots of hair metal and makeup and whatnot. The 90s were extremely different - rockers traded in their cocaine nosejobs for heroin armbands and cheesy cartoony satan worship and faded stonewashed jeans were replaced with themes celebrating angst and endless flannel shirts (ask my friends!!!) It was just this thing, this big switch had been flipped, and while I'd never completely got into the Metallica/GnFnR scene properly, I was right on time for the chili peppers, pearl jam, and soundgarden. It's hard to imagine a time when those bands were all that mattered - hell U2 used to be hip and rockin'.

Ah, but things change, and money gets made. Green day came along and the oldest band in the whole wide world (Bad Religion) somehow got noticed and then this new punk thing got started. Punk that eschewed the "values" of punk and just embraced it's attitude and style of clothing, anyway. I don't mind, I like the punk rocker girls, they're still very hot (at least they are a little more approachable than the insane drama goth chicks, who are also hot.. notice a trend here). But the music has left me a bit cold. It's not the music, it's me, I know this. I'm at a different time and place in my life, ironically I live in pretty much one of THE capitol places in the world for ANY music (and culture as well) but yes, it's different, different, different.

I am not so out of touch yet, I have my myspace page.. and can cut and paste the HTML.. I will go out and have my crazy days and crazy nights and crazy goddamned left-and-right bullshit so long as I draw breathe into these here tired lungs, I will tell you all that. but I sure as shootin' don't feel quite as young and innocent anymore.

Still, so far to go, and that's what tires me out.

Next week I am flying back to Boston for thanksgiving, holy hell is it thanksgiving already (yes, get over it). And then afterwards a cross country journey back to los angeles, hopefully no one will kill me in a bar fight (could happen). Nah. I am charismatic, and lucky.

Nah again. I might get killed in a bar fight.

Anyway, I have been spending hours picking away at my demo reel and all of that, this is the part where the van gelder brothers say "is that all he's going to write?" Okay we saw a movie with some jews and I made some off color remarks. Oh hey I signed a contract today for some freelance work. it was probably one of the times I have been so disinterested with a job, I feel like I just got out of prison after 15 yrs and I have to get a job as a janitor to mesh back in with society. the job's not bad actually, it's just a little sobering, and really if i was any kind of a smartass I could wrangle some neat-ness out of it. Whatever, just show me the munny...

i think i need to go out for a good night... sigh, what to do on monday night? how botu when monday doesn't feel like monday anymore?

No comments: