Sunday, December 30, 2007

train kept a-rollion'

whew, a couple minutes of free time in between the gallavantin', might as well check in with Ye Olde Internete.

Things are alright, the last few days have been sorta hectic I suppose. Friday I guess we sorta hung out (Brother drove in from Boston so we could get some hotdogs, we drove back to Cambridge to pick up his girlfriend and then back here to Framingham to have dinner with the folks, plus my Uncle. my Low-Carb Uncle). Saturday my mother brought May and I to meet her manicurist in Natick (yes, that is how you know it must be serious!) and then I graced my belly with a Number Nine from D'Angelo's. We caught a ride back to the city with my brother once again, stopped to visit friends Dante and Mary in Brighton before catching a taxi to Central Square in Cambridge. Earlier in the day (err the day prior, I think) my buddy Joe informed me that the Mighty Mighty Bosstones were doing their traditional year-end string of shows in a little local club, The Hometown Throwdown at The Middle East - though the band haven't performed together publicly in about 5 years or so (likewise they've not recorded anything since). I was always a fan of those guys, though I've only seen them barely a handful of times - but I'd never been to one of the Throwdown shows, so it was sort of the case where "it's a bitch to set it up now when I'd really rather be picking up with my buddies, but I KNOW I will regret skipping the show!" My buddy found an extra ticket for me (the show was sold out) and I managed to get another one (for my girl) from a scalper out in front just before the opening act started up.

The show was fun! I have only been to the landmark Middle East a couple of times, likewise, but each time was extremely memorable (God Lives Underwater, Hum, Rocket from the Crypt) - and now the Bosstones. So yeah some of my all time favorites, certainly. I yakked with my friends and put down a few vodka drinks while we waited for the main act to take the stage (fittingly, they did so when I was squattin' over the pot). I rushed out and into the mosh pit with my mates. Now - I have been to a few shows in my day, and certainly to my fair share of dance nights since I've relocated out west. I am usually the long gangly idiot out there in the middle of the dance floor tearing it up like a caveman, my giant hair thrashing about and my legs and arms kickinng and bashing all over the place like an out-of-control retarded babboon or something. Usually it's not taken to, too well (I got kicked out of a vegas club for dancin' like that) and folks will generally shy away from me when I behave thusly in Los Angeles (well.. sort of). Mind you I am not generally trying to piss anyone off, it's just where I have come from, I am a product of the punk rock and the grunge band style of dancing, if you could call it that.. but yeah! In the nineties, that was how we danced, all crazy and violent and thrashy. And it was accepted, generally, and you sort of had a connection with one-another in the middle of it, you'd smash into one another but you'd also protect each other from falling on, or getting squished or run-down. It was interesting, I suppose. Anyway that's all gone the way of the Dodo, so to speak, but it was pretty much the scene at the concert last night, a return to (caveman!) times passed. The setlist they played was alright, a mix of decent and "eh" songs (hard to be picky I guess, but you will always complain if you're me) Still we all knew the words to all the tunes, and screamed them out, exasperated, as we belted one another every which way. It was fun, though, a nice release! Real Boston crowd too (appropriately). lots of dudes dressed like House of Pain not 'cause they were trying to rip that style, but because it is their local style (which I guess got defined by bands like that .. so yeah.. I guess they WERE ripping that style) but whatever. Lots of Irish and Jewish looking faces in that crowd. I was just psyched the drinks didn't cost an arm and a leg. I pretty much tore off my Tshirt about halfway through the set, since it was completely sopping wet with booze and sweat as if I'd just come in out of a rainstorm. The sole of my trusty boot got ripped (finally!) and I got a nice little gash on my finger, but all in all I would say it was a great time = no regrets. Thanks for the hookups, Joe and Terry!

Today I have been hanging out locally in the neighborhood, I gave my girl the driving tour of the area where I grew up (the houses we lived at, the schools I went to, the house where my neighbor went crazy and eviscerated his poor wife and stuck her organs on sticks all over the yard, that sort of thing). We will head into the city soon, once again, to meet some friends for dinner. I feel bad for the poor kid "now here's some MORE people to meet, and here's some MORE and etc etc"

Right now I should go give some attention to the poor dog they got, which is really young (less than a year) and exploding with energy and no outlet for it. So he just cries and bites stuff all day long.

No comments: